Palmer Arboretum is located in the Town of Woodstock, CT, on Route 169. It is a place for education, enjoyment and enlightenment.
The Palmer Arboretum was founded in 1914 by Minnie Palmer Dean. Mrs. Dean gave the property to the Town of Woodstock in her will in 1925. Several of the trees date back to 1914 or 1916, among them the huge purple beach and the grove of cypresses which can be seen from the parking lot. Over the years, the area over overlooked and became a jungle of poison ivy, multiflora rose and honeysuckle. In the 1970's, Arthur Manthorne cataloged the remaining trees. A separate Arboretum Committee was formed by the Selectmen in 1985, and the slow process of restoration began. Most of the plantings were made in 1993-1994.
Our next project is the clearing and restoration of the potentially lovely spring fed area on the north side of the property, which is still in a deteriorated state.
How We Are Supported
Publicly, by the Town of Woodstock for help with maintenance; privately by donations to "The Friends of Palmer Arboretum" and by a modest memorial fund for improvements given by the late Dr. Florence Prosser. We welcome all contributions and memorial gifts. This is the key to the Arboretums' continued life.
Donations may be sent to:
Friends of Palmer Arboretum
c/o Woodstock Town Hall
Woodstock, CT 06281
Plants at the Arboretum include American Sweetgum, Hoops Blue Spruce, Mountain Laurel, Large Fothergilla, Azaleas, and various Cyprus (Veitch's Moss, Hinoki, Thread, and Moss). For a complete listing of plants, see the downloadable brochure under the "Documents" tab of the Arboretum Committee.